The SBGA offers a pioneering network of industry, finance and other service providers which support the creation of responsible gold value chains from mine to market.
The approach chosen by the SBGA is to:
- Accept only metal originating from accredited responsible ASGM sources
- Achieve shorter supply chains and facilitate direct exports for ASGM producers
- Mobilise actors along the supply chain to establish & improve efficiency of these
- Promote environmental and social improvements locally through the Better Gold Fund (BGF)
- Identify specific projects funded by members that allow faster ASGM operations’ improvement
© Image SBGA
Continuous improvement is a core principle of the SBGA and fundamental to its success. Participating artisanal and small-scale mining operations are incentivised to continuously improve their practices and, step-by-step, demonstrate conformance with the SBGA’s sourcing criteria.
© Omar Torrico
The SBGA brings together several key players in the Swiss gold industry. Their purchase who have committed of responsibly produced gold includes an additional Better Gold incentive which is reinvested into ASM communities through technical, social and environmental development projects on the ground.